Whatever, your situation is, always be prepared to zero your thermal weapon sight to your weapon. It is just too important to skip! There are many ways to zero a thermal weapon sight. Rarely, if ever, is there a prefabricated target available for this purpose. Some field expedient methods are:
- MRE heaters
- Two 9V batteries
- A small piece of No Power Tape
- A paper with a hole cut out of it
- Zero Targets combine the benefits of MRE heaters, No Power film, and paper to produce a fast, easy and environmentally friendly zero target.
- Zero Targets can also be used indoors and in very inclement weather.
- Zero Targets are consistently accurate.
The table below summarizes each option.
|Zero Targets||IndoorsCloudy day
|Plan ahead||Use pasters to extend target life. In many situations target is effective even without heater.|
|MRE Heaters||Distinct Hot Spot, Quick||Rapidly growing Aim Point||Have all weapons ready to zero so the aim point does not grow as fast|
|9V Batteries||Distinct Hot Spot, Quick||Growing aim point, waste||Have all weapons ready to zero so the aim point does not grow as fast, do not use lithium or hazardous batteries|
|No Power Film||Simple||Somewhat dependent on environment||Make sure the target backer is leaned back about 15 degrees|
|Paper with Hole||Simple||Difficult to see||Seek out a spot where the thermal energy behind the hole is different from ambient|